The FFR, FIR, IRFU, SRU and WRU met in Dublin tonight with the following points decided upon in relation to the future of European club rugby:
• Their agreement with the new competition formats and financial distribution formula previously agreed by the six Unions who attended the mediated meeting in Dublin on 23-24 October (http://www.ercrugby.com/news/25300.php ).
Following today’s discussions, the five Unions have agreed the following:
• A European club competition is to take place during the 2014/2015 season following an optimised sporting and economic format with 20 teams, no matter how many countries are involved.
• The competition will be driven by the existing organisation (currently named ERC) which will remain in charge of the centralised sale and management of all commercial rights, amongst other things.
• Discussions over governance will be pursued in order to optimise the internal functioning of the existing organisation (currently named ERC).
• The common aim is to move eventually towards the integration of European competitions within an all-encompassing European rugby framework.